Friday, January 28, 2011

My Beginnings with Kpop

SeeYa's final performance at M.Net Countdown

After watching SeeYa's final performance as a group on M.Net Countdown made me realise how long I've been a fan for Kpop music and how Korean's mainstream music has changed so rapidly during these past few years. So, here's my story of my humble beginnings with Kpop music.

It all first started with my first Korean drama Full House in 2005. I know what you're thinking, what does Full House have anything to do with Kpop music: 1. the OST music and 2. Rain (Bi). I liked Byul's I Think I Love You in the drama.
I'm the type of person who likes to do some reading before or after watching a drama or movie. I originally didn't know Rain debuted as a singer. But after listening to his albums, boy did it made me like him even more. And from there, it all started.



But what attracted me most to Korean music was their heartbreaking ballads. I don't understand the Korean language, but music is a universal language, you don't have to understand the language to like it. Sometimes its about the melody or how the singer conveys their song. To add with that, a ballad with a heartbreaking storyline in their Music Video is what totally sucked me into Korean music as well. I think it was SG Wannabe, SeeYa and Brown Eyed Girls music was what made me appreciate Kpop. I remember SG Wannabe and SeeYa's popularity back then, compared to now. They made great music back then, same goes to Brown Eyed Girls.

Wow, I can't believe it's been 5 years since I started listening to Korean music. And this obsession with probably continue. I will miss SeeYa's music and their awesome collaborations. That's sadly one less ballad group in the Korean music industry. I hope Kballads will be recognised more in the future as idol music is now.

Here's SeeYa's The Last & Scent Of A Woman, SG Wannabe's A Partner For Life and BEG's I Got Fooled By You.


Note: Nowadays, the Kpop industry is saturated with dance tracks and bubblegum pop. I know that some Kballads have now also become monotonous and have a similar beat, but we should give credit to this kind of genre and appreciate it because it really is worth a listen to. Idols should promote more of their ballads on their albums, because some their ballads actually are good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment